The Newsletter of the Nike Preservation Group
Volume 4, Issue 1                                                     
February 2001

Nike Preservation Group, Inc., 475 Maple Street, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
Editors: Don and Susan Peterson	Phone: (765) 743 - 9333   
New E-mail :

NPG President's Message			By John Braun

From its beginning, our founding President, Robert T. Peterson gave a 
lot of spirit, time and energy to our NPG organization.  As you may know, 
Bob was a proud WWII Army Air Corps Veteran and survived being held as a 
POW for 17 months in German prison camps.  Bob's B-17G was shot down over 
Austria on February 24th, 1944.  His ultimate freedom and journey in life 
finally landed him in Valparaiso, IN, not to far away from Nike Missile
 Base C-47.  The rest of his story is well documented history.  We lost 
Bob last May 1st, to death from natural causes.  His tireless effort to 
preserve C-47 for future generations was always at the top of his list. 
 I consider it an honor to serve in Bob's footsteps as your next NPG President. 
 With the synergy of his son Don, Tom Vaughn, Daughter-in-law Susan and the 
Board of Directors, we promise to stay invigorated in leading the process 
to acquire C-47L.  In memory of our founder who so gallantly served his 
Country and our Group, we need your continued financial support and 
appreciate any other assistance the membership can give in our cause 
to save C-47L.   May God bless you, the United States of America and 
all in new leadership in 2001.

Annual Meeting of the NPG Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

The annual meeting of the Board of Directors for the Nike Preservation 
Group was opened at 19:00 hrs, 16 December 2000, at the Pub Restaurant 
in Lafayette, Indiana.  The following are the minutes of the meeting.

Donald J. Peterson, Acting President 
Tom Vaughn, Board Member
John R. Braun, Board Member
Susan C. Peterson, Treasurer 

Not Present:
Casey M. Criswell, Secretary 
Wayne A. Heimberg, Vice President 
Robert T. Peterson (deceased)

Last meeting minutes of 12/18/99 were read and approved.

Old business was discussed.

Don Peterson gave a brief update of the status of his communications 
with the GSA, which to date, have been less than productive.  

John Braun inquired on any contacts made with state agencies or the 
National Park Service concerning C47.  No new contacts where identified.  

The floor was opened for new business.

Don Peterson presented the Treasurer's Report for 2000.  
	No comments where made.

Treasurer's Report - 

The Nike Preservation Group is a tax-exempt organization with both the 
IRS and the State of Indiana.  A report must be filed with the IRS in 
this year to confirm that estimates of the NPG's income were correct. 
The NPG started the year 1999 with a cash balance of 		$410.26.
Income for 2000 YTD 12/16/00						+$458.06
(10 annual memberships, 1 life membership, 5 videos, 3 maps, + misc.)
2000 Expenses for 2000 YTD  						-$624.31
     Postage:   	    $5.06
     Office:          $619.25
  (scanner $250, videos $122, printer supplies and paper $250 +/-)
The 12/16/00 cash balance is currently    			$ 244.01

The NPG's only regular expenses continues to be the publication of the
 newsletter, which requires postage and office supplies.

Don Peterson presented the current dues schedule for review and comment.  
The motion was made to make no changes, the motion carried.  The current
 membership list and newsletter mailing list was also reviewed.

Don Peterson presented the NPG Bylaws and Mission Statement for review. 
 After a short discussion, a motion was made to make no changes to the 
Mission Statement, the motion passed.

Don Peterson called for new appointments of NPG Board members and officers.  
A motion was made to elect John Braun as President, Tom Vaughn as Vice 
President, Don Peterson as Secretary and re-elect Susan Peterson as Treasurer. 
The motion passed.   A motion was made to leave Board positions vacant until 
two suitable candidates could be identified. The motion passed.

John R. Braun, President 
Tom Vaughn, Vice President
Donald J. Peterson, Secretary
Susan C. Peterson, Treasurer

Board of Directors:
John R. Braun, Chairman 
Tom Vaughn, Member
Donald J. Peterson, Member
Casey M. Criswell, Member
2- Vacancies

Don Peterson made a recommendation to place a temporary historic marker, 
made of plywood, at the C47 Launcher Site to identify its importance to the 
local community.  The sign is proposed to be 4' X 8' plywood construction 
and attached to the sites fence.  The sign would provide a brief history 
of the site and give contact information to reach the NPG.  A motion was 
made to purchase the sign if the cost was kept to a minimum.  The motion passed.

Don Peterson made the suggestion that a position be created on the Board 
of Directors for a Membership Chairperson.  A motion was made to add this 
position when a suitable person was identified and willing to serve.  
The motion passed.

John Braun commented that the NPG needs to begin networking with state 
and federal agencies.  The National Park Service was specifically identified 
as an agency the NPG needs to begin building close ties with.  It was decided
 that several Board members would attempt to set an appointment with the 
staff at the Dunes National Lakeshore.

Tom Vaughn noted that he had heard that continued clean-ups were being 
planned by federal agencies for C47.  Don Peterson asked that any information 
concerning clean-ups be sent to him so that he can watchdog the activities.  
Noting that the last time the site was scheduled for clean up, it was done 
behind the back of state agencies.

The topic of an NPG website was discussed.  A motion was made to spend the 
money to launch a website.  The motion passed.  The launch date to be announced.    

 Don Peterson adjourned the annual meeting at 21:08 Local Time.

45th Air Defense Artillery Brigade History 
Chapter IV - GUN DAYS
14 May 1952 - 31 Dec 1954

The 45th Antiaircraft Brigade was reconstituted and allocated to the 
Regular Army on 14 May 1952 at the Museum of Science and Industry, 
Chicago, Illinois. Between 28 July 1952, date of activation, and 
26 January 1953, operational date, the brigade headquarters received 
personnel and equipment.

In 1952, many changes took place in Chicago to bring the Defense up to 
combat ready strength.  The 22nd AAA Group was at Ft. Custer, Michigan 
until 5 March 1952, when it moved to Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. At the time, 
the anti-aircraft units located at Ft. Sheridan were the 51st  AAA Brigade, 
the 23rd AAA group, the 709th AAA Gun Bn, and the 713th AAA Gun Bn. The 
713th was deactivated on 13 May. The National Guard personnel assigned to 
the battalion were sent to Ft. Jackson, South Carolina for out-processing 
while the Active Army personnel became the nucleus of the newly activated 
49th AAA Gun Bn. The 13th and 768th AAA Gun Battalions were located at 
Camp McCoy, Wisconsin. They moved into the Chicago area in June with the 
13th  moving into positions on the Chicago west side. On 13 June, the 
86th AAA Gun Bn was activated at Ft. Sheridan using the Active Army 
personnel from the inactivated 709th AAA Gun Bn and moved into positions 
along the lakefront. On 17 October, the 79th AAA Gun Bn moved from 
Ft. Custer, Michigan to sites along Lake Michigan in Chicago. 

To illustrate the conditions that the units faced when they moved into 
their new sites, the following is quoted from Battery C, 13th AAA Gun Bn, 
Record of Battery Accomplishments. 

The area may be pictured as a vacant lot, grown over with its share of 
summer weeds, when the battery arrived on 27 June 1952. Squad tents were 
immediately set up as quarters, equipment was emplaced,.... and the 
Battery reported into tactical nets as ready for action. 
Several days were spent mowing the grass, which had been planted on the
 previous trip, chopping out the weeds and policing the site in general.
 Revetments were built around the equipment for ammunition, and reserve 
ammunition was placed in wooden revetments.... 

Listed below are some of the improvements to the area, made between the 
date of occupation and 7 August 1952. 

1. Brick floors were constructed for the quarters. 
2. Garbage stands, worktables, fly proof cabinet, and can goods cabinet 
	constructed for the kitchen.
3. Wash stands built for personal.
4. Latrine improved to insure more effective sanitation. 
5. Gravel hauled for battery street and surrounding area. 
6. Security fence built. 
7. Complete area painted. 
8. Bulletin board and fire fighting systems constructed.

On or about 1 October 1952, we received information that lumber was available 
at the Studebaker plant and after going through channels at the plant 
acquired three (3) truckloads of lumber. This lumber was used to build 
the present kitchen, the post exchange, the phone booth, the paint shed, 
and the winterized kitchen police area .... 

About the same time,... the unit started preparations for a flag pole. 
The poles, to be within regulations, had to be in increments of 50 ft. 
A plumbing contractor gave the battery the necessary pipe and the motor
 pool welded the pipe together. Pulleys were bought and welded on and 
the pole was painted silver. 

A typist desk and (2) two filing cabinets were brought from the salvage 
yard at Great Lakes, Ill. by Lt. S. T. Farish. These were found to be in 
repairable condition and will be put to use by the battery .... 

Steel rods were obtained for the planned clothes racks from a nearby 
steel company..... 

On 13 November 1952, an installer of the Illinois Bell Telephone Company
 provided the battery headquarters administrative section with material 
aid toward accomplishing its mission. An extension on the administrative 
telephone in the CP was installed, thereby providing an instrument in the 
Orderly Room as well as the CP .... 

Wednesday, 19 November 1952, brought the completion of an electrical 
wiring project providing commercial electricity to every facility on 
the site. The work of installing this project was capably handled by 
Sgt. Broochhoff and the communication section personnel under the 
supervision of a representative of the Engineer Section, Fort Sheridan, 
Illinois, a civilian employee. 

The comfort of the men was greatly increased on 26 November 1952, 
when the permanent latrine was turned over to the unit by the District 
Engineers and contractor. It was indeed a blessing after months of using 
field facilities and having to go miles by truck for a shower ... 

Cement was obtained and necessary steel posts, hardware, etc. and on 
5 February 1953, our flag pole was raised and installed in place. 
Battery carpenters provided most of the work and ingenuity. A storm flag w
as drawn through supply channels and now flies daily, from reveille to 
retreat. It is an impressive sight to see our national emblem flying 
daily over Site 66. 

The 45th AAA Brigade's higher headquarters, Eastern Army Aircraft Command, 
Stewart AFB, N.Y., published General Order #10, dated 20 January assigning 
the following units to the brigade, effective 26 January 1953:

Hq & Hq Etry, 22nd AAA Gp 
Hq & Hq Btry, 23rd AAA Gp 
Hq & Hq Btry, 28th AAA Gp
79th AAA Gun Bn (120mm)   
86th AAA Gun Bn (120mm)   
13th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)     
18th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)   
49th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)     
99th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)
504th AAA Gun En (90mm)
516th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)
768th AAA Gun Bn (90mm)
8th AAA AW Bn (Smbl)
181st AAA Opr Det
502nd AAA Opr Det
514th AAA Opr Det
304th Signal Radar Maint Unit (Type C)
372nd Signal Radar Maint Unit (Type C)
882nd Signal Radar Maint Unit (Type C)
383rd Signal Radar Maint Unit (Type C)
420th Signal Radar Maint Unit (Type C)

The 23rd AAA Group was to be inactivated and therefore was attached to 
the 22nd AAA Group on the 27th. The 28th AAA Group headquarters was 
located at Selfridge AFB, Michigan for the defense of Detroit. The 
22nd AAA Group was at Ft. Sheridan with the mission of the air defense 
of Chicago. The 45th AAA Bde General Order #6, dated 2 February 1953, 
further assigned the above units as follows:

Drawing not available in text format.

COL H. P. Hennessey, Commanding Officer, 51st AAA Brigade was assigned 
to the 45th AAA Brigade and became its first Commanding Officer in the 
Chicago Defense. COL Frank F. Miter was the commander of the 22nd AAA 
Group during its move from Ft. Custer. However, on 7 January, he became 
the first commander of the operational 45th AAA Brigade. The commanders 
of the units in the Chicago area, as of 26 January 1953, were as follows: 

HHB, 45th AAA Bde 	COL Frank F. Miter
HHB, 22nd AAA Gp 		COL John Alfrey
HHB, 13th AAA Bn		MAJ Gerald E. Renegar
	A/13			UNK
	B/13			1LT Robert Christiansen
	C/13			UNK
	D/13			UNK
HHB, 49th AAA Bn 		MAJ Charles Laffitte
	A/49			UNK			
	B/49			UNK			
	C/49			UNK
HHB 79th AAA Bn 		LTC William Brinkerhoff
	A/79			1LT Nicol
	B/79			1LT Rohrmuser
	C/79			lLT John M. Keeling
	D/79 			CPT George W. Brock
HHB, 86th AAA Bn 		LTC Stephen C. Parris
	A/86			UNK
	B/86			UNK
	C/86			UNK
	D/86			UNK
BHB, 768th AAA Bn 	UNK
	A/768			UNK
	B/768			UNK
	C/768			UNK

SITE 02	Near Ashland & Diversity Ave. Chicago
SITE 11	Lincoln Park, Chicago
SITE 20	Navy Pier, Chicago
SITE 24	Miegs Field, Chicago
SITE 28	Burnham Park, Chicago
SITE 34	Burnham Park, Chicago
SITE 38	Promontory Point, Chicago
SITE 43	Jackson Park, Chicago
SITE 44	Calumet Park, Chicago
SITE 48	Near 111st & May Ave. Chicago
SITE 53	103rd & Cicero, Oaklawn, Ill.
SITE 57	47th & Central, Chicago
SITE 56	47th & Laramie, Chicago
SITE 66	South LaGrande, Ill.
SITE 70	Near W. Cermak & Mannheim, LaGrange Ill.
SITE 76	North Ave. & Mannheim Rd., Maywood, Ill.
SITE 80	Schiller Park, Chicago
SITE 84	Near Kedzie & Peterson Ave., Chicago
SITE 90	Foster & Kedzie, Chicago
SITE 95	Near Dempster & Cicero, Skokie, Ill.

The following sites numbers were later changed. For reference purposes 
the later numbers will be used henceforth.

SITE 38 became 42
SITE 56 became 62 
SITE 80 became 82 

For better, control and operations the 22nd Gp and 45th Bde exchanged 
locations on 2 March 1953. 

On 20 March 1953, the newly activated 734th AAA Gun Bn (90mm) was assigned 
to the 22nd AAA Gp to replace the 768th AAA Bn, which was returned to State 
control. The Active Army personnel of the 768th remained on site, were 
augmented by trainees coming from Camp Breckinridge and Camp Campbell, 
Kentucky. MAJ Hugh Jordan was the commander of the new battalion. 

This was a very crucial period of time because of the extreme shortage 
of personnel while establishing an effective defense. It resulted in 
increased responsibilities and many extra duty hours per week for all 
personnel. In February the battalion present-for-duty strengths were 
readjusted so that all units were at nearly the same strength. On the 
4th and 6th of March, 250 trainees reported to the 22nd Group Headquarters 
for further reassignment. 90 more reported on 1 April and 99 on 28 April. 
Bodies were on hand but they were not trained. 

To effectively train the personnel, a firing range was established at 
Camp Haven, Wisconsin "22nd Group AAA Provisional AAA Firing Range Detachment" 
effective 1200 hrs 27 April 1953. This alleviated the long trip, with guns, 
all the way to Big Bay, Michigan to conduct Annual Service Practices. 

The moving into Chicago and suburbs did not pass unnoticed by the civilian 
populace. In reference to Site 24 at Meigs Field: 

"The south boundary of the camp is at the airport's northern fence line.... 
This camp also includes an ammunition dump where, THE TRIBUNE learned, 
live, heavy caliber ammunition is stored. The battalion first was placed 
on the island on a temporary basis.... It was reinstalled in the late 
fall of 1951, and ever since has been in its present location. A series 
of permanent and semi-permanent concrete, concrete block, and brick 
structures were erected in recent months, indicative that the unit is 
expected to remain there for a long time.... Don't imagine that we have 
just been protesting ...." 
Chicago Tribune, 26 February 1953

"The battery, a hazard to air and land traffic at the field, has been 
on the island nearly 18 months, over protests of city and civil aviation 
authorities..." Chicago Tribune, 11 March 1953

During the first part of March, CPT Ralph M. Strong replaced 1LT Keeling 
C/79, CPT Strong remained until 26 April when LT Robert G. Fowler took 
over the battery.

In June, MAJ Johnny J. Watson took the reins of the 86th Bn. In May, the 
two batteries south of Navy Pier moved to the northern part of Chicago. 
A/86 moved from Promontory Point (SITE 42) to the corner of Foster and 
Kedzie Ave. (Site 90). B/86 moved from Burnham Park (Site 28) to Loyola 
Park (Site 96). This was to consolidate the battalion thereby enhancing 
operational control and effectiveness.

In the 79th Battalion, Headquarters Battery, Commanding Officer 
1LT George W. Holz, Jr., was replaced by 2LT Millard N. Stowell, Jr. 
on 1 February 1953, who was in turn replaced by ILT Robert J. McCarthy 
on 12 April. Battery D received a new battery commander on 27 May 1953, 
2LT Marvin J. Sparn. A and B Batteries received a new commander each, 
LT Rogers and lLT Robert D. Edwards, respectively. 

The 49th Bn changed hands in July 1953 when LTC Russell P. Bonasso took over. 

LTC Lawrence J. Lesperance left the 22nd Gp Executive Officer's position to 
become the 13th Bn CO on 23 June 1953. B/13 changed hands to 2LT James Lawson 
on 11 April 1953.

On 5 May 1953, the Signal Radar Maintenance Units were relieved from 
assignment to the battalions and were assigned to the 22nd Gp, in general
 support of the battalions. In early May 1953, the 86th and 79th Battalions 
left Chicago for Camp Haven, Wisconsin to be the first units to fire on 
the 22nd Group Firing Range. As an example of the effectiveness of the 
Chicago units, the 86th results were:  A-91.5%, B-96.8%, C-93.7%, and 
D-96.5% (95.0% or above was superior). These high scores were outstanding, 
when it is considered that new M33 and T33 Fire Control Equipment were being 
used, the large quantity of new personnel, and the amount of time consumed 
making the Chicago sites livable and presentable, valuable time that could 
have been used in training. 

In April and May, the Army Antiaircraft Command and Eastern AAC conducted 
the annual inspections. Again the units showed outstanding performances by 
compiling an overall rating of excellent in each inspection. 

On 12 May 1953, personnel from all the units in the 22nd Group participated 
in Exercise Desert Rock. This was the first nuclear detonation test conducted 
by the Department of the Army that involved the use of troops. 

TOE 44-415, 15 June 1953 (effective 24 July), erased the "Gun" portion of 
the units' designations. The new designation, AAA Bn (STATIC), became a 
joke among the personnel because of the amount of moving and apparent 
indecision as to where the "static" location was to be. However, the 
batteries did begin to settle at permanent sites. Commercial power, 
concrete buildings, mess halls with Hotpoint electric ranges, and prefab 
barracks were no longer a dream but became a reality.

On 5 July 1953, at approximately 2100 hours, lightning struck an 
ammunition revetment containing the powder charges for the 120mm guns 
at A Battery, 86th AAA Battalion, located at Site 90. Alarms brought 
civilian fire detachments and police to the scene. Civilians were 
immediately evacuated from the vicinity. The explosions continued 
over a two hour period but no casualties were sustained. There was 
some minor damage to the military equipment but, other than broken 
windows, no civilian property was damaged. An investigation was conducted 
by a board of officers. They verified the fact that the fire had been 
caused by natural means. 

During the month of August, a few change-of-command ceremonies took 
place. MAJ Charles 0. Laffitte replaced LTC Brinkerhoff (who departed 
for Fort Bliss, Texas) as the CO of the 79th Bn. Also within the 
battalion, 1LT Robert J. McCarthy was replaced by 1LT Frank E. Simmons 
at Headquarters Battery, 1LT William J. Storey became the commander of 
A Battery, and CPT Kermit I. Hartman took over D Battery. In the 
734th Bn, MAJ John W. Davis became the new Commanding Officer on the 
15th. B/13 changed commanding officers on the 11th. 1LT Richard Sheley 
took over from 2LT Lawson. 

In September, Headquarters, 86th AAA Bn moved from Fort Sheridan to 
Site 90. Deputy Commander, EAAC, COL Franklin arrived on 31 August 
with his team to prepare the defense for a Sector Control Test. 
The Test was conducted by EAAC during the period 9 - 12 September 
to determine the feasibility of dividing the defenses into sectors 
of defense for effective engagement and destruction of targets. 
This was the first trial of this type control and, if effective, 
was to be incorporated in other defenses. Due to the magnitude 
of the test, many personnel arrived in Chicago, TDY to 22nd Group, 
on 8 September. A total of 27 evaluators, 1 per battery, battalion 
headquarters, and AAOC'S, came from the units in the 28th AAA Group. 
The observers were: 

ARAACOM 		LTC Lewis plus 2
EAAC 			BG Hayden plus 4
WAAC 			COL Meinert plus 6
85th AAA Bde 	BG Stayton plus 7
56th AAA Bde 	BG Meyers
52nd AAA Bde 	LTC DePalo plus 5
53rd AAA Bde 	COL Curtis plus 4
28th AAA Bde 	COL Turner plus 2
8th AAA AW Bn 	LTC Stricklen plus 2
30th Air Div 	BG Tacker plus 2
HQ, 5th Army 	COL Moody plus 1
Eastern AD Force 	LTC Armstrong plus 1
AA & GM Center 	MAJ Oehmke plus 2
Ft Sheridan 	COL Wade plus 2
DA, Signal Office COL Clancy plus 1

At the conclusion of the test, though the exercise was considered a 
success, it was not known yet whether this system would be adopted 
by the Army and ARAACOM. 

Note: It was adopted in 1954 and this was the beginning of the present 
missile battery primary sectors for search.

During the latter part of 1953, events took place which indicated 
changes were in the mill for the defense. A conference was held on 
7 October concerning the change of weapons - from guns to missiles.
 Construction was begun preparing sites for AJAX units. 
(On 17 December 1953, the first NIKE-AJAX battalion became operational 
at Ft Meade, Md.) A conference was held on 23 November, when COL Alfrey 
hosted BG Kerner, Illinois ARNG, concerning the anticipated turnover 
of some of the Active Army gun sites to the Illinois ARNG. 

To end the 1953 history, this quote from the 22nd Group's Annex to the 
S-1 Journal will sound familiar to personnel assigned to the 45th Artillery 
Brigade, irregardless of their assignment date.  "Family type quarters are 
critically short, military personnel are residing up to 30 miles from the 
post, a deterring factor to a tactical unit." 

MAJ Miss was assigned to the 13th Battalion as the CO to replace 
LTC Lesperance, on 15 December 1953, who was assigned to the group 
headquarters for a month and then proceeded to Europe. LTC Bonasso 
departed the 49th Battalion to take over as the Executive Officer, 
22nd Group, on the 4th of January. MAJ Boaz, XO, 49th  became the CO 
until a replacement for LTC Bonasso reported for duty. The 79th also 
received a new battalion commander in January, MAJ Samuel T. Reid, 
vice MAJ Laffitte who reported for duty on the 15th. 1LT Rodney G. Parrish 
took over A/79 from LT Fowler in January. 

On 16 January 1954, 86th AAA Bn began preparation to became the first 
operational missile battalion in the Chicago-Gary-Milwaukee Defense. 
The headquarters moved back to Fort Sheridan after a three month absence. 
A and D Batteries moved to the Libertyville Airport to temporary sites 
C94T and C95T. B Battery left the lakefront park in Illinois and occupied 
one in Indiana. Its new address was Dunes State Park, Ogden Dunes, Indiana. 
This was designated temporary site C30T. C Battery also moved from North 
Chicago to a temporary site, C60T. This new location was in Lemont, Illinois 
between Argonne National Laboratory and the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. 

On 25 March, the 86th was re-designated as the 86th AAA Missile Battalion. 
In March and April, the "package personnel and equipment" began arriving 
from, the Guided Missile School, Ft. Bliss, Texas. The battery personnel 
arrived as follows: A, 31 March; D, 9 April; C, 13 April; and B, 19 April. 
The equipment arrived in April on the following dates: A, 8th; B, 13th; 
D, 18th; and C, 22nd. 

Another impending change, which began to appear as a certainty, was that 
another battalion would be assigned to the Chicago area. LTC Thames, 
496th AAA Bn, stationed at Camp Stewart, Georgia (home of the old Coast 
Artillery), arrived on 1 March to discuss administrative and logistical 
support for the battalion, if it came to Chicago. 

The new Commanding General, EAAC, BG Meyers arrived on 2 March for an 
orientation tour of the Chicago-Gary Defense. 

lLT Eugene M. Malone replaced ILT Storey at A/79 on 12 March.

April brought the first Commanding General to the 45th Brigade, 
BG Theodore W. Parker. He spent the month acquainting himself with 
the operations and visiting the batteries. LTC Ferdinand Stano took 
over the 86th on 4 April. 2LT Robert Lantelme became the BC of B/13 
on 6 April. 

LTC Carel C. Hines took command of the 49th, vice MAJ Boaz, who again 
became the XO. In the 79th, 2LT James J. Stelzer took over A Battery on 
1 July, while in D Battery other 2LT's were at the helm. 2LT George V. Kmiotek 
commanded the battery from 4 - 24 May, then turned it over to 
2LT Carl E. Milewski - (Note: LTC George V. Kmiotek was the St. Louis 
Defense Commander, when that defense was attached to the 45th Bde, 
July - December 1968.) MAJ Miss was moved from the CO, 13th Bn to the 
Assistant XO, 22nd Group on the first of June. LTC, Theodore W. Panneek 
replaced MAJ Davis in the 734th on 29 June. 

On 10 May, the post-school training commenced for 86th Battalion battery 
personnel who were not part of the package, and the request for 
clearances were initiated. From 21 July to 26 August, the operations 
detachment which had supported the battalion was relieved from the 
George Sector and conducted operational tests with the new search radar, 
AN/TPS-1D, commonly known as the Tipsy One Dog. These tests were 
conducted on the roof of the 5th Army Headquarters, South Shore Drive, 
Chicago. On 28 August 1954, the battalion completed training under 
ATP 44-370 and became the first operational guided missile battalion 
in the Chicago Area. In the fall of 1954, the battalion began 
conducting guided missile training at the Libertyville site for other 
personnel in the 22nd Group, mainly the personnel of the 79th Battalion, 
which was to be the next converted battalion. 

In August the first and second deaths occurred in the Defense since 
its conception when PVT Oye, 79th AAA Bn was killed while on leave on 
the 16th in an automobile accident three miles north of Chebouse, 
Illinois. On the 3rd, PVT Luna, 86th AAA Bn, was struck and killed 
by a civilian car while on duty. 

April brought the much talked about new battalion to the defense. 
General Order #5, AAC dated 30 April 1954 (effective 28 April 1954) 
assigned the 496th AAA Bn (Gn)(120mm) to the 45th Bde, thence to the 
22nd Group. The battalion headquarters is believed to have occupied 
site 90, Foster and Kedzie Ave and was commanded by LTC Harry L. Dickey. 
The firing batteries were located as follows:
A - Site 96 - Loyola Park 
B - Site 90 - Foster and Kedzie Ave 
C - Site 97 - Montrose Park 
D - Site 98 - Belmont Harbor 

Due to the large number of units assigned to the air defense of the 
United States, it was decided to increase the number, of command units 
at the regional level. The Eastern and Western Army Aircraft Commands 
were inactivated and Regional Commands activated. On 1 July, ARAACOM 
General Order #14 organized the 5th Antiaircraft Regional Command. 
Then ARAACOM General Order #29, dated 20 October 1954, officially 
assigned to 5 RGN the operational area of the 45th Brigade. The 45th 
was released from direct control of ARAACOM, attached to 5 RGN, with 
control of the defense of the Chicago-Gary complex.

On 4 August, COL Thomas M. Larner assumed command of the 22nd Group. 
LTC David G. Gauvreau replaced MAJ Reid in the 79th. LTC Baker became 
the new Group XO and MAJ Reid was moved up to Group, Also in the 79th, 
lLT Malone in A Battery was replaced by 2LT Charles L. Cooper, who held 
the post until 7 September, when CPT Louis E. Adams took over. 
CPT Paul E. Brumley became the new commander of B Battery on 28 November. 
A/13 changed commanders in August when 1LT Frederick E. Klusmeier 
assumed command. 

Due to the inactivation immediately after World War II and recent 
activation, the 734th AAA Bn had not been presented their World War II 
battle honors. On 13 August, a retreat parade was conducted in which 
BG Parker presented the World War II Campaign Streamer, embroidered 
- LUZON, and the Philippine Presidential Unit Streamer, embroidered 
- 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945. 

General Order #1-11, HQ 5th Army, dated 28 October 1954, directed that 
the Signal Radar Maintenance Units, 372nd, 382nd, and 383rd, assigned 
to the 22nd AAA Group be relieved of assignment and convert to National 
Guard status. To replace the radar maintenance capability, the 97th, 
105th, and 108th Signal Detachments were assigned to the Group. 
Actually, this was just a TO&E and color change for the Active Army 
personnel assigned to the SRMU'S. 

On 15 November, the Headquarters and all batteries of the 79th AAA Bn 
departed their gun sites and moved to Fort Sheridan. The guided 
missile personnel were integrated into the batteries, excess personnel 
distributed throughout the defense, and training and organizing took 
place so that the battalion could become an operational battalion. 
As the 79th wrote in their history, 
"A move to Fort Sheridan in the last quarter of the year to start 
NIKE training brought an end to the 120's the outfit had carted all 
over the middle west. Not a tear as shed." 

On 13 December, the unit was re-designated the 79th Antiaircraft 
Missile Battalion. 

Look for more of the 45th Brigade History in the next issues!!


Last Name _____________________ First  Name _____________________MI _____     
Street Address: _______________________________________________________________ 
City___________________________ State ____________________Zip  Code__________
Home  Phone (           )__________________Work Phone (          )___________________ 
E-mail Address________________________________________________________________
Are you a Veteran?   (Yes)   (No) 
Did you work with Nike Systems or where you stationed at a Nike Base? ______
If so, Where and When? _______________________________________________________________
Are you interested in volunteering labor at C47?  (Yes)  (No) 
What do you think you could help with? ___________________________________________________

Mail to: 
The Nike Preservation Group, Inc., 475 Maple Street, West Lafayette, IN 47906

Membership fees: 
( )Individual Membership, $15 a year   ( )$150 NPG life time membership*
	Or ( )$40 for 3 years.		   ( )$200 NPG family life time membership*
( )Family Membership, $20 a year 	   ( )$1000 or More - Corporate sponsorship**
	Or ( )$50 for 3 years.                  

All members receive the NPG newsletter.  *Lifetime members receive a free gift 
and their names on the C47 Wall of Fame.  ** Corporate sponsors receive a 
wall plaque of appreciation and their corporate logo placed on our sponsorship board.

The Nike Preservation Group, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation.
If you haven't paid your dues for 2001, please don't delay, send it in today!